GOLDEN RULE INDUSTRIES / POSITIVE PHILOSOPHY PROJECT
CONCEIVE IT + BELIEVE IT + TAKE ACTION NOW = SUCCESS
Help yourself by being determined and directed
think like a tortoise
and click on the photo - > >
Background on Ben Franklin's life-long experiment
Over 250 years ago, Ben Franklin realized that even the best attempts at making and sticking with New Years Resolutions brought unsatisfactory results. In his autobiography Ben describes the brilliantly simple solution: "a weeks strict attention to each of the 13 virtues successively." After thirteen weeks he'd begin again (four cycles = 52 weeks) investing 28 days a year into mastering the 13 personal skills.
Ben largely credited this one experiment as the principal key to his many successes; including careers as an author, diplomat, philosopher, physicist, printer, publisher, scientist (with 105 inventions); and played a pivotal role in financing (and winning) the Revolutionary War, creating the Postal System, the Public Library: additionally Ben was the only signer of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.
So, unusual as it sounds, this 250 year old experiment and thirteen virtues: Temperance, Silence, Order, Resolution, Frugality, Industry, Sincerity, Justice, Moderation, Cleanliness, Tranquility, Chastity and Humility; when worked with disciplined attention is the greatest gift from wise old Ben to you and me.
UPDATED FOR 2020+ The Golden Rule, Gratitude, Communication, Now, Peace-Love-Understanding, Encouragement, Appreciation, Health-Happiness, Steadfast Determination, Order, Abundance-Sustainability, Truth, Humility.
1. THE GOLDEN RULE Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Perhaps even better learn what others want and (when compatible to your sensibilities) you can do for them what they can't do for themselves. Be respectful--accept responsibility--resolve to do good--be good to your word--live the Golden Rule.
2. GRATITUDE ''The trick is to be grateful when your mood is high and graceful when it is low.''RichardCarlson.US ''Smile your best smile at everyone you see. Think about all the things you have to be thankful for … and smile. The world will smile with you.'' FrankBettger.US Look at everything with a new sense of awe and appreciation - be grateful for all that you have, taking nothing good for granted and regularly expressing appreciation and gratefulness - compliment with true sincerity.
3. COMMUNICATION ''Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself, avoid trifling conversation.'' BenjaFranklin.com Improve your communication skills: - Speak softly, peacefully and with assurance. - Let the other person complete his own thoughts and sentences. - Be a considerate, polite and thoughtful listener. - Questions get you further than comments. - Listen more and talk less. Unless it's absolutely necessary: - Do not tell people when you disagree with them. - Even when you think you're right, don't argue--it's the poorest technique known in human relations. - Never participate in gossip.
4. NOW Really think about this: What most precious resource do you have an abundance of right now, that money can't buy ? The answer: This Moment In Time. This week resolve to make the most of each precious moment: - Focus on living in the present. - Take action now, do something now, just do it and do it now. - Double the amount of enthusiasm that you put into your work and your life - to become enthusiastic, ACT enthusiastic! - Be on time (or even better - early). - Whenever an idea 'pops' into your mind, immediately write it down; think it through and if it has merit take action on it. - Don't allow technology (24 HOUR NEWS/TV/INTERNET/TEXTING) to allow you the excuse to waste time. - Stay in the moment: the past is in the past; it's gross time inefficiency and mismanagement to agonize over, discuss or think about.
5. PEACE LOVE UNDERSTANDING : DESIDERATA "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." MaxEhrmann.com
6. ENCOURAGEMENT "I will speak ill of no man - and speak all the good I know of everybody." BenjaFranklin.com "Everybody likes to feel important--not flattery--but honest, sincere appreciation." FrankBettger.US "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." Harriet Beecher Stowe
7. APPRECIATION - Help others feel good about themselves. - Focus on congratulating and applauding others. - Be polite. - Don't criticize, tease, interrupt or be rude. - Develop into being a naturally agreeable person. - Respect and honor others. - Compliment with true sincerity.
8. HEALTH & HAPPINESS "Time is wealth, and unlike money when it is gone you cannot replace it." Napoleon Hill "My refusing to eat meat occasioned an inconveniency, and I have been frequently chided for my singularity. But my light repast allows for greater progress, clearness of head and quicker comprehension." BenjaFranklin.com - Restrict your intake of negative information (TV, radio, newspaper, internet bad news). - Allow yourself some quiet (meditative) time \ short naps are refreshing. - Exercise \ stretch \ walk more. - Good food \ sensible portions \ more water \ less salt. - Keep track of your physical health with annual dentist \ optometrist \ MD check-ups. - Your face is more then just an indicator of your emotions so SMILE to make yourself happy ( try it : ). - Most important and like the song says: ''Don't worry, Be Happy!''
9. STEADFAST DETERMINATION ''The great majority of people in the world drift through life, never realizing that their future will be the one they create for themselves. The minority who achieve great success are people who know what they want and have a plan for realizing their objectives. They know what they want and how they are going to get it. Your goals should be specific, they should be measurable, they should have a deadline for their achievement, and they should be divided into manageable pieces. Know exactly what you plan to achieve, when you plan to achieve it and how. Review your progress regularly, correct your course when necessary, and never, never give up.'' Napoleon Hill Have confidence in your knowledge that the determined tortoise succeeds while the non-directed hare does not. Stay in your own lane. Balance inspiration with persistence, perspiration and patience. Keep your minds eye aimed directly on your target, and then keep moving to it, until precisely what you want is achieved.
10. ORDER ''Let all your things have their places, let each part of your business have its time.'' BenjaFranklin.com "Confidence spreads with success and lack of confidence multiplies with failures. If your confidence falters, turn to what you do best and then take on more challenging tasks." David Niven PhD Practice excellent organization and good record keeping - eliminate self doubt - do not procrastinate, complete what you begin.
11. ABUNDANCE & SUSTAINABILITY Manage yourself with a mindfulness to sustainability. When you want something, simply ask for it. Aim for financial stability balancing thrift and abundance, giving yourself the ability to: Waste not--want not. Make better choices for yourself. Assist others during their time of need.
12. TRUTH ''Use no hurtful deceit, think innocently and justly and if you speak, speak accordingly.'' BenjaFranklin.com Since honesty really is the best policy--do what you say you will do. And when there is a sincere need--be the person that can be counted on.
13. HUMILITY "He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals.'' BenjaFranklin.com ''If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.'' Mother Teresa ''It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.'' Mahatma Gandhi Bragging will cause you to lose friends and gain enemies - it's much better to exercise humility. To the best of your ability aim to model your behavior by following the life examples of Gandhi, Mother Teresa and our very wise friend Ben.
Golden Rule Industries
CONCEIVE IT + BELIEVE IT + TAKE ACTION NOW = SUCCESS
Copyright Gene Kahn 7/4/2001-2020+ All rights reserved